In the darkness the trees are full of starlight (henwy) wrote,
In the darkness the trees are full of starlight

  • Mood:

Like schucking an oyster

I should be in bed. I'm exhausted and want nothing more than to go to sleep, but for a weird little kismet of events, I'm at the computer and figured I'd take the oppertunity to recap part of the weekend while I have the chance.

Friday night and into sturday morning, my tooth was killing me. It was not the most extreme pain I had ever felt in my life, but what made it different was that it was constant. There was no suurease to it and that made it probaly one of the worst experiences of my life. It just kept screaming second after second. I had resoted to popping more pain medication than I had ever take at once and only an act of will kept me from trying to swallow the entire bottle, figuring either the pain would die or I would, and no matter what that might be a good solution. It was pretty excruciating.

Needless to say I wasn't getting any sleep either. Luckily I had a dentist appointment saturday morning and right before I left for it I took a giant horsepill of percocet. That turned out to be a miscalcuation. Almost immediately the nausea hit me. I hadn't had anything to eat other than a handful of raisins and the like in over 30 hours or so and percocet usually makes me a bit nauseous. Combo the empty stomach with the horse-pill sized dose, and the results were not pretty. I ended up having to open the car door to vomit around half a dozen times during the trip down. I was vomiting out nothing but stomach acid and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Mix that with the tooth that was still trobbing and screaming and it was a pretty deadly combo.

When I got to the dentist I was pretty preturbed to find out that there wasn't anything he could do with the tooth. It had to be yanked which meant that it was a job for an oral surgeon and wasn't something he was prepared to attempt. On the plus side, I did get jabbed with a needle full of novocaine and for the first time in around 2 days, felt some blessed relief from pain. I had been haboring some nightmares of having to wait for monday to get the tooth out or worse, to sit in some sort of waiting list and to not be able to get it yanked for days or weeks. Luckily, it turned out there was an oral surgeon just a ways down the road and that they were willing to do the job.

All in all, it was a sort of surreal experience. The entire procedure was done in around 2 minutes or less and basically involved a couple more jabs of novocaine and then the oral sugeon grabbing my head like it was a bowling ball and muscling the tooth out. Even now, it's sort of eerie to have this hole in the back of my mouth, but the damn thing had to go. I din't care if every single tooth on that side of my head had to go with it as long as it got rid of the bad one. If the whole pliers and yanking thing didn't work, I was prepared to have the guy try explosives.

So that was more or less it. I made my way home, vommiting a fe more times, popped some more pills when the throbbing heated up and eventually managed to fall asleep somewhere around 11ish. As for the tooth, I actually had it with me and it was a pretty terrifying sight. No wonder it had been a mess. It didn't so much look like a tooth as a cavity with tooth bits scattered around. The entire nerve looks like it was exposed and that couldn't have made it a happy camper.

I'll make another entry about the rest of the day after I get some sleep.
Tags: dentist, toothache

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded